Tuesday 5 March 2013

Meatless Main Dishes: Vegetarian Korma

Jan 25, 2011 I made this for dinner the other night for my husband and I, and it really was amazing. We couldn't stop raving about it, and the whole time it was cooking I kept hearing my husband say, "Man, that smells good!" Very easy to make and delicious. I used 1 15-oz can coconut milk (still kept the tomato sauce) instead of the heavy cream as many reviewers suggested. I also added about 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets and that was a really nice addition. And instead of just curry powder I used 3 1/2 tsp curry powder, 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1 1/4 tsp turmeric, 3/4 tsp ground cardamom, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, and a dash of ground cloves. SO much better and more authentic than curry powder. The only problem I had with this recipe was that the potatoes took much longer than written to cook and become tender. I used Yukon Gold potatoes, which was recommended by one user, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Finally I decided to add the coconut milk earlier than written to see if more liquid would help the potatoes cook faster, and that is definitely what did it. Once I added that, the potatoes cooked up in no time and I was able to add the rest of the ingredients and finish the recipe. Served with rice and naan. We will DEFINITELY be making this again and again, as we really like to eat vegetarian at least once or twice a week and are always looking for new recipes to add to our collection. Thank you for a great recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment